Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Song to an Old Burden

The feet have left the wormholed flooring,
That danced to the ancient air,
The fiddler, all-ignoring,
Sleeps by the grey-grassed cello-player;
Shall I then foot around around around, 
As once I footed there!

The voice is heard to the room no longer
That trilled, none sweetlier,
To gentle steps or stronger,
Where now the dust-draped cobwebs stir;
Shall I then sing again again again,
As once I sang with her!

The eyes that beamed out rapid brightness
Have longtime found their close,
The cheeks have wanned to whiteness
That used to sort with summer rose;
Shall I then joy anew anew anew,
As once I joyed in those!

O what's to me this tedious Maying,
What's to me this June?
O why should viols be playing
To catch and reel and rigadoon?
Shall I sing, dance around around around,
When phantoms call the tune!

A quote from a Hardy novel

"What is it, Angel?" she said, starting up. "Have they come for me?"
"Yes, dearest," he said. "They have come."
"It is as it should be," she murmured. "Angel, I am almost glad—yes, glad! This happiness could not have lasted. It was too much. I have had enough; and now I shall not live for you to despise me!"
She stood up, shook herself, and went forward, neither of the men having moved.
"I am ready," she said quietly.” (Tess of the D'Urbervilles)

-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment